Route of Saint Benedict
A Haven of peace in the “Terrae Sancti Benedicti”, cradle of western Monasticism
Tour 3 days - 2 nights
From Subiaco to Montecassino we will follow in the steps of St. Benedict, learning about the innermost roots of the medieval Christian culture which spread from the “Terrae Sancti Benediciti” throughout catholic Europe.
The itinerary will bring us to the most beautiful Italian medieval abbeys where saints, popes and emperors were born and lived, such as the Subiaco Monastery (Sacro Speco), the Abbey of Montecassino, the Cistercian abbey of Casamari, and the Carthusian Monastery of Trisulti, deep in the lush vegetation of the Hernici Mountains, ending with St. Thomas Aquinas’ native land.
• The Monasteries of Subiaco overhanging rock “bird’s nests”
• Montecassino Abbey, where the “Ora et Labora” motto is still ruling
• Aquino and the prototype of the year 1000 Montecassino
• The Abbey of Casamari, gothic Cistercian jewel of the 13th century.
• The Carthusian Monastery of Trisulti and the “Spezieria”, one of the most beautiful monastic pharmacies in all Europe
. Sora and the biggest Italian Herbalist’s shop
Included in the price:
● Accommodation in double room with half board ( breakfast buffet and 1 meal);
● The meal includes a first course, second course, side dishes and dessert;
● One free person every 20 people
● Extra charge for a single room: € 15,00
Bus, extra meals, entrance fees, additional expenses, tips and anything not mentioned under the entry “included”.